Submitting a Bad Check


If you have not yet registered with the Check Enforcement Program, it is important that you provide basic information regarding your company.  You only need to register one time, but if any of your information changes, please inform our office.

Before You Refer A Check To This Program

Prior to referring a check to the Program, victims are required to notify the check writer that a check has been dishonored and demand immediate payment, This must be done by certified mail. If, after five (5) days from the date the check writer receives the notice, the matter has not been satisfied, you may refer the check to our office. A Sample Demand Letter is provided for your convenience. There is not requirement to notify the check writer by mail in cases in which the check has been returned due to Closed Account or No Account.

Preparing Checks For Referral

Each check you refer to our office for enforcement must be accompanied by a Check Complaint Form. Enclose the original check(s) with the Check Complaint Form. Make a photocopy of both sides of the check you are referring for your files. This form lists all the information needed to process the bad check. It is important that you fill out as much of the information as possible to assure effective enforcement. If you do not know a piece of information you can still refer the check.

Please write or print information clearly. Checks are often very difficult to read. One of the reasons for filling out a Check Complaint Form is to assure we can read names, dates and amounts accurately.